You’ve made the decision to move into a senior independent living community. Now what?
“If you’re in the process of planning for retirement, you may be looking at independent senior living communities and wondering about the best process for retirement living next steps,” says Lynda Marino, Marketing Director for Canterbury Woods Williamsville. “Should you move sooner rather than later? Should you stay in your current area or move somewhere to be close to family? The choices are seemingly endless, which can then make it seem overwhelming to many.”
Choosing the right independent senior housing for your new chapter in life can be daunting at the onset, but if you take it step-by-step, you’ll find it’s easier than you think. “It’s rather like buying a new home or choosing a college,” says Lynda. “Know your needs and wants, weigh your options and listen to your gut, and you’ll be able to make a decision that’s right for you.”
What Can You Expect from Life in Senior Living?
When you move to independent living, you’re entering into a carefree lifestyle that makes life enjoyable. Here are just some of the things you can expect when you move to an affordable independent senior living community:
- No more chores, ever. Independent living is all-inclusive and maintenance-free, meaning that you’ll never have to worry about things like surprise repairs, yardwork or other tedious tasks ever again.
- Restaurant-quality dining every day. For every meal, actually, independent living communities these days offer fine dining experiences that provide delicious and nutritious meals designed to please even the pickiest palates.
- A focus on wellness and health. Aging well means staying on top of all aspects of health, which is more than just diet and exercise. It also means feeding the mind, body and soul to the fullest. At independent living communities, the lifestyle is designed to provide an environment that helps seniors age well, no matter how old they become.
A Step-By-Step Guide to Moving to Independent Living
1. Understand your wants and needs.
Before you can begin searching, you need to know what it is you’re looking for. Make a list of everything you need from a new home – as well as what you want. Your needs will help you make your first round of choices; your wants can help you make a decision when there’s a tiebreaker. Some things to consider include levels of care, number of dining options, size of floor plans, etc.
2. Do your research.
Knowledge is power, as they say, and researching your options well in advance before it’s time to make a choice will give you the power to choose the best location for your retirement years. The best place to begin? The internet, of course. Take some time to find communities in the area you’re interested in and get a feel for their services, amenities and overall care.
3. Schedule some tours.
Once you have your list of candidates, it’s time to see what they’re like in person. Although you can get plenty of information online, you can’t get a real feel for a place until you actually step foot inside. Here are some tips for helping you make the most of your various tours:
- Ask lots of questions. Your list of questions will depend on your individual situation, but it’s a good idea to have a standardized list that you can ask at every community you tour. Here’s an example of a list you can customize to your wants and needs.
- Schedule more than one tour at places that make the first cut. It’s a good idea to tour at different times of the day, enjoying a meal or two and attending an event. You might also want to book a short-term stay at the community (such as for a weekend or a week) to get a feel for what life is like during different times.
- Speak to different residents and staff members to get their take on what life at the community is like – you may be surprised.
4. Make your choice.
Once you’ve toured your top choices several times, take your lists and weigh each option against the other. This can be easy, hard or something in between – but don’t rush the process. Remember, you can always tour other options if nothing seems to ring true to you. Trust your gut, and listen to your instincts. Eventually, you’ll land on a choice that works perfectly for the lifestyle you want.
5. Get ready for the next chapter.
Now that you’ve made your choice, it’s time to get ready. This article, “7 Steps To Finding the Perfect Senior Living Community”, lists several points that will help you get ready for your big move:
- Meet with an elder law attorney to get everything in order.
- Downsize your possessions – there are senior move specialists who can help with this.
- Sell your home – this will put you in a great financial place.
- Schedule your move so that you don’t have to deal with temporary housing.
6. Enjoy your new life.
All the heavy lifting is done, and you’re ready to enjoy everything your new senior living community has to offer. Now it’s time for the best part: making the new community your home.
Find Your Fulfillment
Canterbury Woods Williamsville is a Continuing Care Retirement Community like you’ve never seen. Canterbury Woods Williamsville is not only the perfect location for rest and relaxation, thanks to 62 tranquil acres, but there’s also easy access to Buffalo’s urban location. Offering the highest quality independent living lifestyle and security, you’ll be part of a welcoming community consisting of both friends and neighbors while experiencing gracious living, first-class health care and the freedom to create the lifestyle you desire.
Continuum of Care
As a Continuing Care Retirement Community (CCRC), Canterbury Woods Communities provide a comfortable environment and first-rate services to support every level of need. Assisted living apartments allow Williamsville residents to benefit from additional support while maintaining their independent lifestyle. If skilled nursing, rehabilitation or memory care is ever needed, residents can experience the support they require. They can also enjoy all this and more at our sister community in Buffalo.
Contact us today to discover more about Canterbury Woods Williamsville! (716) 427-6928